Wednesday, May 22, 2013

PART excerpts from A FUN Q&A SESSION WITH VRISHALI


1.    What was on your mind when you decided to leave college and seek Mr. Nari Gandhi?
I had come to the end of my perspective.... and i had seen one of his work a year ago.. Thats when it started building in me to work for him.and there was this one Mr. Pitkar who used to come at me time and again…..reminding me about this man.

2.     What was your relationship with Mr. Nari Gandhi like?
Initially I was a daily paid worker... used to be paid 65/- a day( a normal labourer was paid 120/- then).. May be since everyone who had wanted to work with him used to run away..
After 3 months after i was asked to move a 3m long boulder alone in 15 days to a distance of 15 feet and to position the rock for what it is.... i was accepted as an apprentice...
Then on a site in tungarli hills lonavla.. There was a workers strike on site... since he stopped giving money to men as they used to only blow money by drinking and beating up women... he gave women the money and stuff like rice etc whatever grew on the farm...... during the riots in Bombay... 
after they left i was asked to stay alone... and manage the whole mountain...
it included from.. farming/ masonry/ carpentry/ welding/ shooing goats and cattle that came to feed farm produce.. Being alone without anyone to talk to …. Had many experiences being alone…..
after this… HE TREATED ME LIKE HIS SON….meaning … he went after me like crazyyyy…. Tore me apart….. raped my ego left right and centre…. Taught me to be a man .. 
ive not shared many a dialogue with him.. it was mostly by signs… he would use his hand…. Em kari naak… (do it this way)… and I had to understand… or he would look at me and I would/ should understand……..if I didn’t… ive had a stone thrown at me… from 6 ft distance… whizzing past my ear an inch away… my thinking was… ive come here.. leaving everything…total surrender…. Absolute discipline…..U either teach me… or kill me.. it does not matter… (AND I DINT LEARN ANYTHING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE THERE
J … AS MOST PEOPLEWOULD EXPECT… I LEARNT ONLY ABOUT WHAT I AM)

3.    Can you share with us at least ‘one’ of your most memorable experiences with him?
I used to go to his house… he would be very cold and rough and shoo me off in 3 minutes and bang the door on my face… the last time I met him… I had written a small compilations… called MY DIARY… mostly quotes and pictures… some mine some borrowed… dedicated to the man within myself… I had reached his house at 9 at night… he spent a lot of time reading and re- reading the diary and coming back to the dedication time and again… and finally at 2 in the night when I was leaving … for the first time came till the gate of his apartment…. DIKRA… (meaning son)… I AM LEAVING…(I was a 21 year old guy… itni samajh to thi nahi… main soch raha tha… main jar aha hu.. why is he saying ki hes leaving)….. he came on the road to see till I crossed the corner… (Honestly… I was very uncomfortable with his behavior then)……..NEXT DAY HE DIED IN A CAR ACCIDENT…(and I laughed hearing the news….. realization hit me big time…. The whole drama…)….EVERY MOMENT OF THAT PERIOD WAS THE MOST HEAVENLY…. JANNAT KI KHUSHBU PEHCHAAN GAYA…..

4.    Which was Mr. Nari Gandhi’s favorite project and why? 
No project was favourite... It never was as much about the work or architecture or his work blah blah...
as we like to think of it as architects.. analysing the building and logicalizing everything... 
It always was ..is.. will be about the people who u build for… it was never about his technique… or style or so called arrogance which he is famous for… EVERYONE JUST BIT THE FINGER POINTING TO THE MOON…. VERY FEW LOOKED AT THE MOON ITSELF…)

I DO THANK FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE.. IM VERY GRATEFUL..


No comments: